Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Me...a Priest?

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. – 1 Peter 2:9

Knocking on the door of the run down building, Kim took a step back when it was opened by a woman who looked as worn as the structure. A hard life was written all over her face.

“Yes?” she said.

Kim stammered for words. “Hi, my name is Kim and I come from the church down the street. We are having some great activities coming up that we thought the community would be interested in, so I’m here to give you some information.”

The woman took the paper and said thanks. She began to turn away from the door when she stopped and turned back to Kim.

“I see you have a quilting group. I remember my mother making beautiful quilts. I always wanted to learn, but never got around to it.”

“Well, I’m part of the quilting group and it really is a great group of ladies. I would love to have you come and join us. We will show you how to quilt.”

The woman smiled. “I may just do that. Thank you!”

********
Kim was Jesus with skin on. She showed care to the woman who obviously needed a kind word of encouragement. We sometimes think we have to have a special “ministry job” to do the work of Christ, but we already have the role as a priest. That may seem daunting, but God called us as his special possession to go out and shine his love to those we come in contact with on a daily basis. As we have been called out of darkness, we are to help others receive that same blessing.

Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, that you gave me hope in times of darkness. I pray that I shine your light on the darkness I see and help others find their way to you. Amen

Faith Tip: Consider your role as a priest and what that means in your daily walk.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: