Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Spiritual Yeast

Then he said to me: “Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.’ Therefore prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: My people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.’” (Ezekiel 37:11-14)

I love to make homemade bread. There is nothing like the scent that drifts through the house of bread baking in the oven. But before it hits the oven, it needs to rise. Yeast is used in this process. It usually takes about an hour to rise, but sometimes I wait for two hours, go back and look at it, and still no sign of life. Disappointing.

Our spiritual life can sometimes be like the bread that doesn’t rise. There’s no life to be seen, our hope has faded, and it is disappointing. So what can we do when this happens? It’s not what we do, but what God does in us. As we hear the word of the Lord, we need to let it soak into our soul. We will then realize that our hope has returned and combustion has occurred in our soul. Our spiritual life has risen and we have only God to praise for it.

Prayer: My hope is in you, Lord. I pray that I continually seek the yeast of your word to give life to my soul. Amen

Faith Tip: Take some time today to mull over the word of God that you read.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: