Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Confession

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:19

Confession is not an easy thing to do. It highlights our shortcomings, brings to mind those things we would rather forget, and makes us painfully aware of our sinfulness. That is probably why confession is one of the most neglected areas in personal prayer. When we go to God in prayer it is much easier for us to offer thanksgivings and requests, but confessions are a little more difficult.

I remember in college, in order to save money, I would cram as many clothes in the washing machine as possible. This method of washing clothes did save some money, but it wasn’t very good at getting the clothes cleaned. When it comes to confession I think often we take the same approach. We lump all of our sins together and pray “Lord, forgive me of my sins” and move along with our prayers as if throwing all our sins in what big heap will suffice. When we confess our sins in this way we don’t have to deal with them directly and it is much more comfortable.

Instead of lumping our sins together, we ought to pull each sin out of the pile one at a time and confess each individual sin in every painful, embarrassing and raw detail. Of course, this way of confession is difficult, humbling, and uncomfortable, that is why we often don’t do it. But it is effective! Because when we confess our sins in this way it makes us more aware of our need for God’s grace and, as John tells us, God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Prayer: Lord, help me to confess each of my individual sins before you so that I may become painfully aware of where I have fallen short of your glory, not so I can wallow in guilt and shame, but so I may be humbled and be thankful for your love and forgiveness. Amen.

Faith Tip: Take some time today to come before the Lord and confess your individual sins to God.

Written By Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: