Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Accepting All Things From God

His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!” He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. – Job 2:9-10

In the season of Lent we reflect on the sufferings of Christ. Job was a man who knew suffering. He lost his livestock, his children had died and he was afflicted with a painful skin disease. His wife could not take anymore, so she encouraged Job to throw in the towel and just die. But in his wisdom Job asks her, “Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”

We are always willing to accept good from God when things are going well for us and in those times it is easy to worship Him. But, unfortunately when trouble comes knocking our faith becomes weak and we are too quick to throw in the towel. Like Job’s wife, we too often are willing to accept the good from God, but not the trouble.

Jesus, in going to the cross, was willing to accept the Father’s will even if it meant physical pain and suffering and dying on the cross of a thief. Jesus understood what it meant to accept all things from God, both the good and the bad. What is your response to God when you find yourself in the midst of trouble? Are you willing to accept both the good and the bad?

Prayer: Sovereign God, I thank you that you are in control of all things. I thank you for the good and I ask you to strengthen my faith so that I can also accept suffering. Forgive me when my faith falters and I stumble in the midst of trouble. Pick me up and carry me in those times. Amen.

Faith Tip: Do you have problems and suffering in your life? If so do not pull away from God, but instead draw closer to him and gain comfort and strength from his presence.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: