Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Make Your Day Count

“She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial.” – Mark 14:8

What a wonderful statement Jesus makes of Mary, “She did what she could.” As we begin a new day we should begin with the thought, “What can I do today to glorify God, so at the end of the day Jesus would say the same of me as he said of Mary?”

These words of Jesus remind me of one of my favorite poems by George Elliot. I share it with you below.

You May Count That Day
If you sit down at set of sun
And count the acts that you have done
And counting, find one self-denying deed on word
That eased the heart of him who heard –
That fell like sunshine where it went
Then you may count that day well spent.

But if, through all the livelong day
You’ve cheered no heart, by yea or nay –
If through it all you’ve nothing done that you can trace
That brought the sunshine to one face –
No act most small that helped some soul and nothing cost –
Then count that day as worse than lost.

What can you today to make your day count for the Lord? At the end of this day will Jesus be able to say of you, “He/She did what he/she could.”

Prayer: Thank you Lord for blessing me with another new day and for all the blessings that come with this day. Help me to do what I can in this day to bring praise and glory and honor to you. Amen.

Faith Tip: Do what you can in this day to make it count and to brighten someone else’s day.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: