Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fearless

When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?” Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.” He said to them, “Go!” So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water. Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region (Matthew 8:28-34).

It’s crazy that many times when I go to the doctor or dentist, my blood pressure rises. During one examination that was very simple, it was high enough that the nurse wasn’t sure I should leave their office alone. I felt fine. I didn’t feel nervous, but my body was telling a different story. Although it was good for me to be there, there was fear. The professionals call this white coat fear. They see it often where a person will be fearful about going to the doctor and would rather they just go away.

I think sometimes God does things in our lives that we are not comfortable with and we get fearful. Sometimes we ignore it and hope it will go away so that we don’t have to deal with it, even if it is for our own good. We don’t consciously say, “Jesus, please go away,” but our response may say that clearly. God does not give us a spirit of fear, but he does give us many wonderful promises of faith, trust, joy, grace and more.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I pray that today I may grab onto the work you have for me to do today and not fear it. If it is a change I need to make, I pray that I can make it. If it is to sit in your presence, I pray that I can do it. May today bring you glory. Amen

Faith Tip: Seek God in what he has for you today, and then be fearless for the glory of God.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: