Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Getting in God's Way

From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!” Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns” (Matthew 16:21-23)

When a friend of mine was going through some troubled times, I wanted to fix their situation for them so that they wouldn’t have to suffer anymore. I was interpreting the situation through my human experience and not seeking God for his plan. I took on a “god complex” where I thought I could fix it for my friend.

Sometimes God says to get out of the way so that he can do the work that he has planned. We may not understand what he is doing, we may not even like it, but God knows exactly what he is doing. If we try to fix things, we are causing a barrier to what God wants to do, which is so much better than what we can do. It’s a matter of trust.

Prayer: Lord, I pray that I can trust you in every situation. You have been so faithful, and I am to seek you and your plan for direction. I praise you for your goodness. Amen

Faith Tip: Are you trying to fix a problem for someone or for yourself? Look to the Lord for his plan and be ready to let go and step aside.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: