Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who's In Charge?

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?” The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed” (Matthew 8:5-8).

I watched the teacher explain an assignment to the class before leaving with my Kids Hope student. I noticed that all the students were working on the assignment, not because they had a great desire to do so, but because of the authority of the teacher. She knew what was best for them to learn and directed them in it. The students knew she was in charge and trusted her direction, so they obediently followed.

Knowing who’s in charge is a great benefit to any situation. Isn’t it interesting that Jesus asked the centurion, “Shall I come and heal him?” like he was unsure of what to do. Jesus knew exactly what to do, in fact, he knew the heart of the centurion and how he would answer the question asked. It was a great testimony to the authority of Jesus. He knew Jesus had all the power to heal—Jesus only had to say the word.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for the authority you have over all things. Your word is powerful, and you are the one I can always run to when I need help. I pray that I may submit to all you have for me because you know what is best. Amen

Faith Tip: Consider the different aspects of your life and ask yourself, “Who has authority over this part of my life?”

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: