Thursday, April 14, 2011

Prince of This World

I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. – John 14:30-31

When I read the creation story, I often wonder why God allowed Satan to enter the Garden of Eden. And when I read the book of Job, I wonder why God allowed Satan to cause so much suffering. Certainly, God could have prohibited Satan from coming anywhere near Adam and Eve and Job. As Jesus is preparing his disciples for his death, he provides a clue to Satan’s presence in this world.

Jesus’ words confirm the fact that Satan has no power over God and if God had wanted to he could have kept Satan from the garden and out of Job's life. But Jesus says that God allows Satan to come into the world for our own benefit. Sin for our benefit is a hard concept to accept and understand. But that is what Jesus says. God allowed Satan to come into the world so that we might learn.

And what is it that we learn through sin? We learn of God’s love, grace, mercy and forgiveness. We would not truly understand how deep the Father’s love for us without sin and we would never understand how amazing God’s grace is unless we realize how lost we truly are. Without sin we would never understand the importance and significance of Christ’s death on the cross.

Prayer: Lord, your ways are not my ways and sometimes it is difficult for me to see how my sinfulness brings me to a deeper understanding of your love. Forgive me when I allow sin to take me away from you, help me to draw closer to you so that I may be cleansed of my sins in the blood of Christ. Amen.

Faith Tip: Take an inventory of the sin in your life. Where is sin drawing you away from God? Use that inventory to become aware of your own sinfulness, repent, and experience the grace of love of God.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: