Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Too Good NOT to Be True

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. – John 14:26-28

We have all heard the phrase, “It’s too good to be true.” An advertisement advertising a very low price, a sales pitch offering a deal that can’t be refused, a promise made that sounds so wonderful that you doubt it will ever be kept or a gift received as you look for any strings attached that might be used to yank it right back out of your hands. I am sure we have all had experiences where we have been burned in some way or another. So we become leery, guarded, mistrustful, and full of doubt when something sounds “too good to be true.”

The disciples, like us had these same experiences, so Jesus at the Last Supper eased their doubts and fears by telling them, “I do not give to you as the world gives.” These are comforting words to us as well. Much of our doubts and fears spring forth from wondering if God’s promises are true. And so we ask ourselves questions like, “Can God forgive me?”, “Will I go to heaven?”, “Does God really love me?” To those who follow Jesus, the answer is a resounding, “Yes!” The Lord does not give us forgiveness and then take it away. Jesus did not go to the cross for our salvation only to later take it back. God doesn’t offer his love only to snatch it out of our hands. Therefore, we do not need to let our hearts be troubled or be afraid, because God’s promises are too good NOT to be true!

Prayer: Thank you Lord for your sure and certain promises. Help me to remember that you do not give as the world gives. Keep me from my doubts and fear, by trusting in your promises. Amen

Faith Tip: Is there an area in your faith where you have doubts or fears? If so remember God’s promises and be assured that his promises are always true and will never be taken away.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: