Friday, April 8, 2011

Trusting Like a Child

Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.” – Luke 9:48

Who is the greatest person we can think of in our time? Ideas such as a political figure, entertainer, or someone who has greatly given of themselves may come to mind. Would we even consider answering a small child? I think we would be as dumbfounded as the disciples were when Jesus presented a child as the greatest.

The difference is the way we think of greatness. We think of achievements that can only be done with the growing of our human experience. Jesus is thinking about faith. One thought pattern focuses on what we do and the other on what God does. God is the author of faith. If we look to God believing as a child would, no matter what the world tells us, our faith would grow and expand. Children have a capacity to believe in something strongly that adults seem to lose as they grow older. We want proof. God wants us to regain that child-like faith in him and trust.

Prayer: I believe you, Lord, when I read that you will always be with me and never forsake me. When the world tells me I am not worth it, I pray that I can trust you and stand firm against the world’s message. Amen

Faith Tip: Regain the wonderment children have and explore God. The truths you find are treasure to your soul.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: