Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A New Yoke

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

For me, the month of December fills up the quickest on my calendar. There are Christmas parties, church programs, and special luncheons and coffees sprinkled throughout the month. These are all wonderful things, but at the end of the month, there is a desire for some quiet days. Reflecting on the goodness of God is one way I experience peace.

As the New Year approaches, we are guaranteed that it will not be a smooth ride. In John 16:33, Jesus told us that we would have trouble in this world. This is evidenced in the year end clips of the past year of events that happened in our world. There were disasters, losses, and struggles. Individually we also have struggles, but I believe we see God’s best through our problems. It is through the challenges that we learn more about God, grow in relationship with him, and learn to trust him more. God calls for us to come to him as the world weighs heavy on us. Jesus has a new yoke for us and it’s so much lighter.

Prayer: Thank you, God, for your promises of rest. I pray that I will continually come to you to give you the yoke of the world in exchange for your much lighter one. Amen

Faith tip: Take time to reflect and be thankful for all that God has done for you. Remember the times you worried and how God carried you through. Remember the lessons learned and the growth experienced. Look forward to a richer relationship with God in the coming year.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: