Friday, May 20, 2011

To fix or not to fix - That is the question.

For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. – John 12:49
But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold. – Psalm 106:13


For all of us with a “fix it” mentality, we have a very difficult time waiting for something to be done, don’t we? We see someone suffering in some way and we are ready to throw on our cape and rush in to rescue them. At first glance, this may seem like the right thing to do, but consider the big picture. We can’t see the whole situation, but God can. If we jump in to rectify everything, we may actually be doing more harm than good. What lessons will be missed? What character won’t be built up? What trust will be built up to depend on God?

So what do we do? We just can’t stand by and let it happen. God doesn’t want us to stand by; he wants us to be in connection with him and to listen carefully for direction. God will give direction as we ask him. Listening and obeying is the key. He may have you act right away, or he may want you to wait on him for his purpose to be played out.

Prayer: I thank you, Lord, that you have all situations in your hand. I pray that I can discern when to act and when to wait. Amen

Faith Tip: Pray for a situation you know of today to see if God wants you to act. Listen carefully.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: