Thursday, June 2, 2011

We've Got It!

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. – 2 Peter 1:3-4

How can I be a better person? I’m sure there are books and other resources that could help me. I could study more and perhaps volunteer more. What about prayer? I could pray more and maybe even get another spiritual gift…maybe that would make me a better person.

Sounds like a lot of pressure, doesn’t it? We as humans are good at beating ourselves up that we can do better. We believe we need to do and have something more than we already have to accomplish this. The truth is that we are given everything we need…right now…to live a good life because of Jesus. Jesus has given us everything we need to stay away from sinning, but it is our choice. Those evil desires do not have a hold on you unless you allow them. We don’t have to wait until we get to heaven to “participate in the divine nature.” We can do it now.

Prayer: Your promises, Lord, are more valuable than anything on this earth. You told me that I have everything I need to live a pious life, and I believe you. I pray that I can walk in your ways all the days of my life. Amen

Faith Tip: What lie do you believe that causes you to sin? Stomp on it in Jesus’ name. It has no power over you. God is more and has his best for you.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: