Friday, August 5, 2011

Homecoming

But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. – Luke 15:22-24

My family has been traveling this week to Iowa and South Dakota, so I have been alone all week.  It has been very quiet around the house.  This is good in some ways, but in most ways it is too quiet.  I miss having Julie and the kids around to talk to, to share meals with and to enjoy one another’s company.  That is why I am very much looking forward to their homecoming this evening.

I have somewhat of a sense of what the father of the prodigal son felt when his lost son came home.  I will probably not welcome them at the door with rings for their fingers and sandals for their feet and a nicely roasted fattened calf, but I will be very happy to see them!  This must be how God feels as he waits for us to come home to him.  Homecomings are wonderful and when we all get to heaven it will be a wonderful day of rejoicing!

Prayer:  Thank you Lord for waiting for me to come home.  I can’t wait to be home with you in heaven.  I look forward to that wonderful day. Amen!

Faith Tip:   Today set you mind on heaven and remind yourself that this is not your home, your true home is in heaven with Jesus. Also, please pray for safe travels for my family.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson      

No comments: