Friday, February 4, 2011

How Do You Define Love?

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. – 1 John 4:10

This morning I received an email advertising an upcoming sale. The subject line of the email read, “Nothing Says ‘LOVE’ Like 10% Off.” “Really,” I thought as I looked at the email, “is that what our consumerist society has boiled love down to?” As Valentine Day approaches advertisers will try to help us define love with whatever product they are trying to sell, whether it be flowers, cards, chocolate, etc… However, love has already been defined for us by God.

As John writes, God defined love by first loving us and then showing us this love by sending his Son to die for our sins. I think I would rather prescribe do this definition of love then the one the email was proclaiming. Wouldn’t you agree that the love of God is much better than 10% off? Maybe I should send the advertiser a reply email stating, “Nothing Says ‘LOVE’ Like The CROSS.”

Prayer: Thank you God for loving me unconditionally and showing that love by sending your Son to die on the cross for my sins. Help me to truly understand that kind of love and share it with everyone. Amen.

Faith Tip: Look around you today and be aware of the many ways that our society tries to define love and then remember that God has defined the greatest love of all and go and share the love of God with others!

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: