Monday, February 28, 2011

Spiritual Focus

But by shifting our focus from what we do to what God does, don't we cancel out all our careful keeping of the rules and ways God commanded? Not at all. What happens, in fact, is that by putting that entire way of life in its proper place, we confirm it. - Romans 3:31 (The Message)

Last week I had an eye exam. During the exam the optometrist asked me to read the eye chart through many sets of lenses. Through some lenses the chart was very clear and easy to read and through others the chart was blurry and difficult to see. This exam reminded me how important glasses are for me. Without my glasses the world would be out of focus and it would be very difficult to see and live my life.

The same is true for our spiritual life. When we take away our focus from God our life becomes blurry and difficult to live. Paul encourages us to focus, not on what we are doing, but focus on what God is doing and then everything will become much clearer. When we focus our hearts on God it is like putting on a pair of spiritual glasses and it makes living a whole lot easier.

Prayer: Thank you Lord for the gift of sight. Help me to focus my eyes, heart and mind on you. Forgive me when I look away from you and my life gets out of focus. Amen.

Faith Tip: What are you focused on? When your life gets out of focus, just remember to re-adjust your spiritual lenses and place your focus on God.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: