Friday, February 11, 2011

The Season of Love

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs” (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)

She slowly opened the red envelope found on the kitchen counter. Her eyes delighted in the beautiful scene of children playing in a field…carefree. Opening the card, she noticed a handwritten message saying, “I’m sorry for the pain I have caused you. Please forgive me. I want us to be free to love one another like the children on the cover of the card. I love you so much.” She found herself desiring the same thing—freedom to love one another with nothing between them to restrict it.

That’s how God wants us to love one another. Jesus modeled it on earth by showing grace and mercy to all he came in contact with. He didn’t keep a tab of the wrongs people did. He loves them completely and longs for relationship with all. Focusing on the past will keep our heart imprisoned with feelings of anger, bitterness, discouragement, and other chains that drag us down. The key to freedom is forgiveness. Offer the gift to others just as Jesus offered it to us.

Prayer: Jesus, thank you for the wonderful gift of grace that you offered me. I grasp onto that grace and pray that I can offer it to others as you have. Amen

Faith Tip: Discern how free you are to love. Do you want to love freely? Trust Jesus in helping you take steps today to freedom.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: