Friday, September 23, 2011

Beauty from Ashes

through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. – Romans 5:2-5

As I lay in the MRI machine yesterday, I remembered how a couple of years ago I was brought into the battle of cancer. It was a time of uncertainty as I experienced one test after another, the surgery, chemo and radiation. I now have check-ups that are finally slowing down on the schedule, including the annual MRI test.

Through the last couple of years, God has been faithful in producing in me hope. This is the kind of hope that has a strong foundation to stand on called Jesus. Jesus makes all the difference in the world in everything.

Two days ago, I spent time with a woman in the hospital going through the same surgery I had two years ago. Because of how God carried me through, I was able to encourage her that God would be there for her, too. If God didn’t do this work in me, I wouldn’t have been able to encourage her.

When you are going through a challenge, embrace all the teachings of it knowing God will use it for his kingdom purpose. God knows every detail in our life experience and will use it for good. He has the power to make beauty from ashes.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for the work you have done in my life. I pray that each day I recognize your teachings and apply them to my life. Amen

Faith Tip: Consider your trials today and what God may be teaching you through them.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: