Thursday, September 15, 2011

God's Dwelling Place

LORD, I love the house where you live, the place where your glory dwells. – Psalm 26

King David loved the house of the Lord.  We don’t know the exact place to which David was referring.  It could have been the tabernacle that was in Gibeon.  It might have been the tent structure that David had set-up in Jerusalem to hold the Ark of the Covenant.  Maybe it was a place by an outdoor altar.  Where ever it was, it must have been a place that King David liked to go to feel close to God.

Although God is everywhere, there are special places in our life where we feel God’s presence in unique and special ways.  Like David, these are the places we long to be.  I am reminded of a song in the musical “Fiddler on the Roof” when the main character, Tevye, is dreaming of how he would spend his time if he was wealthy and didn’t have to work so hard.  He says, “If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack to sit in the synagogue and pray. And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall. And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day. That would be the sweetest thing of all.”

It is a sweet thing to be in a place where we feel the presence of God.  It brings us peace, contentment, and to a place of quiet rest.  Where is that place for you?  Make some time today to go to that place and be in God’s presence.

Prayer:  Thank you Lord that you are with me where ever I go.  Thank you that you provide me with special places in my life where I feel your presence in unique and special ways.  Give me more time in my schedule to be in your presence.  Amen.

Faith Tip:  Where is a place where you feel God’s presence in a special way? Is it a church, an outdoor chapel, a quiet place of meditation…Where ever it might be, make time to visit that place and be with the Lord.  

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: