Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Feeling Safe by Obeying

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” – John 14:23

What images or feelings come to mind when you hear the word “obey”? If you are like many people, there is an instant resistance to be told what to do. This is part of our human nature and goes against what the world tells us in serving ourselves first. Think of the people you had to obey as you were growing up. There were parents, grandparents, babysitters, teachers, policemen, pastors and more. Although there was a tug inside not to obey, there may have been another underlying feeling of safety. Obeying those in authority that you trust gives you security.

Safety in God’s hands means to obey him. Rebelling against the Lord puts us in danger of hurting ourselves or others. There is no better way that we can show God that we love him than by listening and following his instructions. The journey God has us on is perfect as long as we obey.

Prayer: I thank you, Jesus, for the plan you have for my life. Forgive me for the times I have chosen another route. I pray that today I can listen closely to you and follow. Amen

Faith Tip: Make a choice at the beginning of the day that you are going to follow God. When you are tempted to disobey, focus on God to keep you on track.

Written by Kathy Bruins

No comments: