Thursday, September 29, 2011

Children of the Promise

In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. – Romans 9:8

The other day as I was waiting for my youngest daughter Joy to finish her tap dancing class, the parents were commenting on the energy and enthusiasm of the children.  One mother said, “I wish I could be a child again.”  I expect this mother’s wish is a common wish for many adults.  Wouldn’t it be nice to be a child again, living a life with little worry, no concern about providing for your needs, living a life filled with joy, energy and enthusiasm?

The good news is that wish comes true for us in Jesus Christ.  As Paul tells us in Romans, through Jesus Christ we are children again.  As children of the promise we are God’s adopted child.  Which means that God will love, care and provide for us just as a loving parent provides for their children.  Therefore we do not need to live a life of worry and concern.  We can just rest in the arms of the Lord and live life with joy, energy and enthusiasm.  This is the kind of life that God intended for his children.  Makes you want to dance doesn’t it?

Prayer:  Thank you Lord that you have adopted me as your child.  Thank you that you love, provide and care for me.  Forgive me when I forget to trust in you and allow my worries to overwhelm me.  Help me live a life that is filled with joy knowing that I am a child of the promise.  Amen.

Faith Tip:  What is one thing you miss from your childhood?  Is it safety, security, love, family, freedom, joy, fun, etc….  Whatever it is, remind yourself that you still have that as a child of God.

Written by Pastor Aaron Anderson

No comments: